About ELPAC- (English Language Proficiency for Aeronautical Communication).

EUROCONTROL, in partnership with ZHAW(The Zurish University of Applied Sciences) and ENOVATE, has developed a test of English Language Proficiency for Aeronautical Communication(ELPAC) to help the Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSP), Aircraft Operators (AO), National Supervisory Authorities(NSA) and Training Organisations (TO) meet the ICAO Language Proficiency requirements.

ELPAC is the ONLY Aviation English test that FULLY CONFORMS to the ICAO's Language requirements for Pilots and ATCs.

ELPAC is designed for operational air traffic controllers and pilots and reflects the range of tasks undertaken in the air traffic control and pilot communications. ELPAC tests English Language Proficiency at ICAO level 4 (Operational) and level 5 (extended). A separate test is available for organisations wishing to test their staff at ICAO level 6.

Register Online

Calmice aviation English (ACE)

The ACE® prepares and equips people to take up roles in the aeronautical industry. It is suitable for Pilots, Cabin crew, Air Traffic Controllers, Student- Pilots etc. You get trained and tested using ICAO standards.

ACE (Aviation Communication English)

The International Civil Aviation Organization – ICAO - decreed that from 1 January 2008 all Air Traffic Controllers and Flight Crew Members engaged in or in contact with international flights must be proficient in the English language as a general spoken medium and not simply have a proficiency in standard ICAO Radio Telephony Phraseology.

It is applicable;

  1. for recruitment purposes: new recruits should meet the language proficiency requirements as a prerequisite for recruitment;

  2. for bench marking purposes: A training program should be required to bring existing staff to the appropriate level and utilize an accurate assessment of the level of language proficiency of existing staff; and there is no better time than immediately.

SCOPE of the Training

The scope of the training and evaluation is primarily the "speaking and listening ability" accounting for 60% together and secondarily “Reading and Writing ability” together accounting for the remaining 40% as specified in the table below: for pilots, Crew, Pilots-to be, Crew-to be and air traffic controllers. The depth of the evaluation is defined by the Holistic Descriptors and the Standards for Operational Level 4.